Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tortellini Soup... yum!

I am kinda moved into my apartment... yay!  I was here a whole three days before I left for California for a mortgage convention (more about that in the next post).  As soon as I have it decorated, I'll post pictures.  I'm just not quite ready to show it off yet.  : )

I did get to make my first meal at my new place, which I was super excited about.  It's so nice to have someone to cook for... it's no fun cooking just for me.  

Anyway, the first night Blake cooked me dinner... I was pretty impressed with his salad and he cooked the chicken perfectly!
Doesn't it look like he got it at a restaurant??  If I didn't see him doing it, I would have thought he was trying to pull a fast one on me.  : )

Anyway, I decided to go with the Feta Dip for starters... I've had this a few times now and it is so easy and never disappoints!
You can find the recipe here.  Enjoy!

I then decided to make the best Tortellini Soup ever... My friend Natalie gave me this recipe and it will change your life!  
It's not the best picture, but it will give you an idea.  : )  Here's what you need:
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced 
- 5 cups of beef broth (I always add a bit extra)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8-10 ounces cheese tortellini
- freshly grated parmesan

Saute Italian Sausage in Dutch oven over medium heat until cooked through, then transfer to a large bowl.  Pour off all but 1 tablespoon from Dutch oven.  Add onions and garlic, saute.  Return sausage to Dutch oven.  Add stock, tomatoes, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil, oregano.  Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.  Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.  Season the soup with salt and pepper and throw on grated parmesan on top.  ENJOY!!

Oh, I got new prep bowls from Anthropology... aren't they adorable??
 
Hurry and make the soup... your man will LOVE you for it!  : )

1 comment:

  1. I might just have to try this one out!!! Looks delicious and easy enough for someone like me!

    ReplyDelete